Resource 3: Indigenous and Western Worldviews

Joseph, B. (2016, January 26). Indigenous Peoples Worldviews vs Western Worldviews. Retrieved December 10, 2020, from https://www.ictinc.ca/blog/indigenous-peoples-worldviews-vs-western-worldviews

This website’s article defines what a western worldview is and goes further to compare those worldviews with some that are held by Indigenous groups. This resource stood out to me for two reasons. One reason is I feel that it expands my own knowledge and therefore benefits how I teach. Although I recognize that incorporating Indigenous material into my lessons is important, I am still building my resource bank of materials. This article is one that I plan to keep in my resource bank as I think it is a helpful breakdown of how Indigenous and Western worldviews differ. A second reason I feel this is a strong resource is because it seems to be a strong invitation to students to wonder why there are such noticeable differences between the two worldviews. A lot of the Indigenous worldviews can lead to further questions for both students and myself on several topics. When considering how to approach climate change in the classroom, and keeping in mind that diverse resources will enrich student learning, this breakdown of Indigenous worldviews can support the way students think about environmentalism. Near the end of the article there are eight examples of the differences between the two worldviews which I can present to my students in the form of an activity. This resource can allow students to choose one or two Indigenous worldviews and use them to guide their thinking about the ongoing climate change. By seeing how different Indigenous communities view the world, students may begin to feel a stronger sense of responsibility for the world and a desire to implement change.  


Click here to go to the website!  Indigenous and Western Worldview

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resource 5: Cookie Mining

Topic Overview

Resource 9: “The Ugly Truth of Fast Fashion” by Hasan Minhaj