Resource 7: Intersectional Environmentalism

 Zero, B. (2020, July 01). Intersectional Environmentalism: A Crash Course. Retrieved December 09, 2020, from https://medium.com/climate-conscious/intersectional-environmentalism-a-crash-course-6a0c495ace91

I chose to include this article in my resource guide, as it highlights the importance of recognizing the intersectional effects that are deeply connected to advocacy for the environment. It is a simple read and I would therefore consider assigning it to my student’s to read, as I think it is important they recognize that there is often a lot of overlap with the many social justice fights. For myself as the teacher, I believe that a resource such as this one, is influential in forcing me to also recognize those same things that I want my student’s to understand. An article like this, that suggests there are more in depth analyses on the topic, will remind me to approach the topic of environmentalism and sustainability from a more empathetic view. From the beginning of my time at UBC I have recognized in myself that showing empathy to my student’s is something I hope to deeply implement in my professional pedagogy. Having an article such as this one reinforce to me the ways that anti-black narratives and issues around climate change are deeply interconnected. This resource exposed some of the implicit bias that I had, such as the photo of Greta Thunberg with a group of young female environmental advocates. It pointed out that there was one Ugandan youth climate activist who was cropped out of the photo. Until this article exposed that truth, I had never considered that to be a possibility when looking at what I had assumed to be the original picture months ago when it first emerged. This shows me that I still have much to learn, and that is why I feel it is important to ensure I have a diverse selection of resources on the topic. There are multiple perspectives on the topic, and each of them are valid and informative in their own way.


Click here to go to the website! Intersectional Environmentalism

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resource 9: “The Ugly Truth of Fast Fashion” by Hasan Minhaj

Resource 5: Cookie Mining

Resource 3: Indigenous and Western Worldviews